Monday, April 06, 2009

Adventures in Unemployment

Its been a week since I was let go from my employers. It was tough to do. The more I hung around that last day the worst it got. A part of me wishes that they had let me go the day they told me my position was being eliminated, but I guess its better to look for a job while you still have a job. It was still tough, because I made so many good friends and contacts there.

I went to the unemployment office last week. It wasn't as painful as I feared. The first obstacle was finding a place to park. I had to park at a different office building about two blocks away. It was raining that day, but fortunately for me it had stopped by the time I had parked.

The place was crowded, but not overly so. Maybe the rain kept people away. I got there at the right time, they were having another briefing in about 20 minutes so I didn't have to wait to long. Note to self: next time I have to go to the unemployment office, bring a pen. They have tons of forms to fill out and only have these little Putt-Putt Golf pencils to use. After the briefing, they released us to the computers where the rest of our info is uploaded. Its a good thing having computer skills. I was done in short order and was free to leave and enjoy the rest of my day.

The toughest thing about being unemployed is finding something to do. I actually have a lot of honey-do projects that need to be done but I'm having trouble getting motivated. I am still searching the job boards for the next big thing but I need a hobby. That's a lie, I do have hobbies, just need to do them. I guess I'll get tired of watching TV in a little bit. I did contact a college to look into finishing my education. Hmm..that's a funny statement, finishing your education. I don't think I'll ever finish my education, because I learn things all the time. My wife doesn't understand how I can watch the Discovery or History Channel. I just find that stuff interesting.

1 Comments:

Blogger winfried said...

At least Todd, they treated you with respect, something that I did not get with my ex boss. When I went to the unemployment office, there was a big line, and like you said, I wished I had brought a pen with me.

You'll see that you are going to get a great job soon!!

13/4/09 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home